Thread: ***Please Look*** Need Some Travel Help

Arrow ***Please Look*** Need Some Travel Help

My gal pal wants to learn more about my lifelong passion for racing and we've decided that the Rolex 24 will be another good step for her. I've never been to Daytona. Can anyone here suggest a nice (though non foo-foo/total luxury) hotel that you're familiar with and like, or at least a hotel area that has a shuttle/bus/tram to the track? I guess since we're in this new modern age, Uber or Lyft are also options now days? It seems that most of the hotels that are nearest the track are either booked up or gouging on the rates. So we don't mind being a little further out, as long as we have some transportation options that run around the clock... or close to it.

Anyone, anyone... Bueller?

Thanks much in advance.

Assuming you'll want to be there for the pre-race festivities and waving of the green, you may need to look out for Uber/Lyft price gouging as well, although they like to call it a "surge" or something garbage like that. As for hotels... i'm useless.

That's OK. Thanks for trying, Matt.

I'll ask anthonyvop to toss you some ideas. I'm pretty sure he's got all the secrets.
    Spike in response to flatlander_48 on 04/29/2013: "Note that, by and large, you don't seem to know what you're talking about."
    "I tend to make the assumption, which evidently was unfounded in this case, that most here know what I know." -flatlander_48 12/14/2014
    "This is just amazing coming from you who I considered to be my equal in IndyCar knowledge. No more. Ernest" - 04/01/2014

Don't know of any hotels that offer shuttle service to the track.
    It wouldn't be very convenient if they did anyway. Daytona International Speedway is Huge. Just thinking about schlepping for outside the track into the infield makes my feet hurt.

If your taking your Gal Pal to he first race weekend I suggest you get a room on the beach and rent a car. Rental cars in Fla are dirt cheap(Less than $100 for the weekend) The Beach is 10 mins from the Speedway.
    That way if she isn't that into the racing she can head back to the hotel and hang at the beach.

Thanks, Anthony. I ended up making a reservation at a (seemingly) nice place on the beach and they put me in touch with a cab service that runs a van shuttle for $10/person. We rented a car too, but I was trying to avoid driving back & forth. I'm really looking forward to this. I was just sorry to learn that the Deltawing won't be racing. I was hoping to see its last hurrah.

Jag, how was it? Final twenty minutes were great to watch. Love the new Cadillacs. Good for Wayne Taylor and his boys. Nice to send Max off with a win and ol' Gordon too.

Did you make it Jag?
    Spike in response to flatlander_48 on 04/29/2013: "Note that, by and large, you don't seem to know what you're talking about."
    "I tend to make the assumption, which evidently was unfounded in this case, that most here know what I know." -flatlander_48 12/14/2014
    "This is just amazing coming from you who I considered to be my equal in IndyCar knowledge. No more. Ernest" - 04/01/2014

Sorry, I forgot to check back in. Yep, made it. We had a great time. It was cold as all get out and the rain made it sort of miserable. But we wandered around and got to see some great action. The dive bomb pass near the end happened right in front of us. While I was watching the replay on TV a few weeks ago, I noticed that we made it on TV (the backs of our heads anyway ). Even got Jeff Gordon's autograph. There's another one checked off the bucket list.

And I have to say, Daytona wasn't at all what I expected. It's a cool town. We stayed at an ocean front hotel and it wasn't THAT outrageous. Driving on the beach was very cool. The track could learn to work better with taxi pickups, but other than that, no complaints from me. I'd recommend the Rolex 24 to any and all racing fans.

Awesome Jag! Glad you enjoyed it and I think I might try to get down next year. I've always wanted to but have never really had the opportunity. Glad you got to see the pass too.