Thread: 2018 silly season

2018 silly season

It appears among on air (radio) frustration toward his team and jos stiring the pot at the team principle on twitter and also rumors it looks as though Max Verstappen is atleast linked with Ferrari.

Apparently Max is trying to get out of his contract which many suspect was the real reason behind not attending post session press interviews.

2018 no drivers are in a contract at Ferrari so at the moment both drives are vacant.

I know Kimi has been on form but he can't stay there forever when there are hot young shots who need better drives.

Alonso was more relaxed at Baku. Relieved so to speak despite the rest of the team enduring what was up until the race itself, their worst weekend this season to date.

Flavio and also papa Alonso were spotted talking in private at Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari.

He has pretty much dropped the Indycar 2018 thing for last weekend anyway!

Amazing how doing Indy in the 500 has done wonders to his stock again and brought him back in the game!

Alonso said whilst some drivers at the top maybe in tight watershed contracts, there will be moving about at the top teams. Sounds as though he knows what is going on but obviously cannot say.

Hamilton has said silly things; I may retire. I could see myself driving for Ferrari......

I think we could see Riccardo a possible mover too!

My guess at this stage would be Alonso to Merc. Verstappen to Ferrari.

Jow Saward talks about get-out clauses for the Red Bull drivers. I can't remember what the qualifiers are, but if you meet 2 of the 3 conditions, the contract can be broken. One qualifier that I do remember is that Red Bull has to provide a "winning car". That condition evidently has gone by the boards with Ricciardo's win at Baku. If I remember correctly, both drivers have get-out clauses.

Fernando Alonso has targeted a move into one of F1's two top teams for 2018.

That is the claim of Flavio Briatore, who still oversees the management of the Spaniard's career as he seeks a potential move away from McLaren-Honda.

"Fernando must go to Mercedes or Ferrari," he told Auto Motor und Sport.

"Renault is still a good distance from being a top team."

Briatore said it is a tough market for a top driver in F1, especially when compared to one of Europe's leading football players.

"There are ten attractive clubs in Europe," he said. "Messi would have a much wider choice. In formula one you can only win with three teams."

However, it is widely believed that Alonso will struggle to return to Mercedes or Ferrari, partly because of his reputation as a troublemaker.

"This is Ron Dennis' fault," Briatore insisted.

"He instigated the problem at McLaren in 2007, and Mercedes had nothing to do with it at the time."

Former McLaren and Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger told Bild newspaper: "For every expert and fan, it is bitter to see a driver like Fernando fighting with dull weapons.

"On the other hand, Alonso left a lot of scorched earth behind him at Mercedes and Ferrari and has to take it on the chin if it doesn't work out," he added.

It may have been Ron Dennis' fault, but nothing said that Alonso had to react the way that he did. Also, he and de la Rosa had the Ferrari data and he threatened to go to the FIA with it. While I have a lot of respect for Alonso based on his driving talents, Alonso the man is questionable.

The only way that I see him going to Ferrari is if both Vettel and Kimi are not renewed. If Vettel stays and they don't renew Kimi, they will look to someone younger, Sainz perhaps (assuming the Red Bull guys are not available). But, if both don't renew with Ferrari, they will need an experienced guy. He said that the real problem he had at Ferrari was with Mattiacci. So far, there hasn't been any confirmation of that by someone in the know. Hmmm...

Power trains may have a significant impact on which drivers go where. It’s really interesting when you look at who’s where, who’s moving and who is on the periphery and thinking about jumping in...